While laying on the couch yesterday (vertigo hit – I couldn’t move or else Very Bad Things happened. For a while I couldn’t even knit – the movement made me nauseous. ) watching TV I saw a clip of Love Story. I can’t remember what the hell I was watching…but anyway, this movie incites a rage in me that is unequal to anything else. Why, you ask? One line:

“Love means never having to say you’re sorry.” PUHLEEZE. As for as I’m concerned, that’s complete horsesh*t and the jackass who wrote it should be smacked around with Dr. Phil’s latest book (not that I agree with him 100% of the time, either).

Why does this line piss me off so much? Well, it was the excuse my ex (the one between Mr. Potato-Head and RR) used to NOT. APOLOGIZE. for anything over the course of our almost seven year relationship. Please don’t ask why I put up with it for that long – trust me, I’ve grown out of it. The absolute irony of it is this – I ran into the *ss about a year and a half ago and guess what? He apologized. (to which I replied, “whatever.” and walked away. Very cleansing. Oh and he looked like complete crap – which helped the cleansing process even more).

Where am I going with this? Well, I’m curious to know – is there a movie line out there that just pisses you right off? (or if you can’t think of one – a line you love will do)

18 Responses to A question…

• BLOGLESS SHARON says:

ACTUALLY THE LINE i LIKE IS RATHER PROFOUND AND AMUSING
    “WHERE EVER YOU GO THERE YOU ARE” FROM BRADY BUNCH MOVIE

• maryse says:

that line never made any sense to me either. but i love that movie.

• Crafting Jen says:

Blogless Sharon actually reminds me of my favorite movie line. It’s from “The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension,” and is probably the source of the Brady Bunch movie quote she gives.

“No matter where you go, there you are.”

I can’t think of any movie lines that annoy me…huh. Wonder why that is?

I don’t know. I can only think of movie lines I like. Must be the optimist in me. :-)

• Shannon says:

oh, I freakin’ hate that line, too!!! so so stupid. My favourite is from the Lord of the Rings–yeah, I’m kinda nerdy–it’s when Gandalf is talking to Frodo in Moria–” All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.” That line encouraged me to end a very bad friendship that was slowly killing me.

Hmmmm, I can’t really think of any lines I hate either. But here’s one I love (I bet everyone can guess what movie it’s from) “Leave the gun, take the cannoli”. Words to live by.

• Anne says:

Jerry McGuire: “you complete me”. HATE it! It just feeds so much into the Hollywood illusion that only other people can heal us, instead of each person needing to do their own work and healing their own stuff in order to find a healthy relationship. (Stepping off the soapbox)

For what it’s worth, a man wrote “Love Story”…just sayin’.

• Lisa says:

I have to go with the Jerry McGuire line on this one. I’m also not fond of “Show me the money!” from the same film.

I do have to say that I do like “You and no other, forever.” from Braveheart when William Wallace secretly marries Marron. I’m a sap, I admit it, and I usually drop this in my random love notes to the DCA. Sigh.

I can’t think of a line from a movie at the moment, but you know the song with the line, “I’d rather have bad times with you, than good times with someone else?” That drives me insane….

I love the line from Dumb and Dumber when Harry says to Lloyd, “Just when I thought you couldn’t get any dumber, you go and do something like this… and totally redeem yourself!” Cracks me up every time.

• Heide says:

OMG! My husband really likes a campy movie called, “Army of Darkness.” And although the film was intended to be cheesy, it’s just plain bad too. And the worst line from it? “Give us some sugar, Baby!” Aaaack.

• Elinor says:

Well that one is really the shittiest excuse ever for anyone. Love is ALL ABOUT saying your sorry, being forgiven and moving on. Everyone makes mistakes; you can’t just be like “oh well, I still love you!” and get off. Retarded! Other than that, I’m okay re: movie lines. =D

• Amy says:

I hate that line too. What, you can crap all over someone and it is perfectly OK. Just pretend like it didn’t happen? Whatever.

I hate all of the cheesy lines from Top Gun. Gag.

Amy

• OK I have never watched the movie BECAUSE of that line. I distinctly remember seeing the last few minutes as a teen and saying wtf? I didn’t need to see anymore of that tripe.
    My mind is blank of lines I hate but this is my favourite “I love nothing in the world so well as you, is not that strange?” Benedict to Beatrice in Much Ado About Nothing.
    And “Fool of a Took!”
    Oh wait – more Jerry Maguire cow chips “You had me at Hello.” Wow, talk about easy! That movie is a goldmine.

I can’t think of any I hate, though the “No matter where you go…” one pisses me of just because it is my ex-husband’s favorite line. Grr.

I can give you a non movie one that’s funny, from when Mr. CygKnit & I were newlywed, and arguing:

Mr. C: But! But! But! Marriage is supposed to be EASY!

• jessie says:

Okay, I’m a day behind on my posts, and I love RR’s socks, just for the record.

But a movie line that pisses me off? How about:

“You complete me.”

Jerry Maguire, you know?

It pisses me off because I believe that if you are not a complete, happy, independent person going INTO a relationship, you are going to suck the life and breath out of whoever your partner/victim turns out to be. Yes, together, you create something bigger than the both of you (or whatever) but you can’t have a healthy relationship if you are needy and dependent.

Or was that the point of that movie? I don’t remember the damn thing.

• jessie says:

OK, I obviously wrote that previous comment before reading those that had gone before me. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who knows drivel when I hear it.

• Heather says:

Whoa-that is SO WRONG! Saying sorry is a wonderful thing-sometimes we do things without thinking first. And did he think there was no need to ever apologize? Where is the humility in that!