Remember this?

03-01-2007-003.jpg

Well now it looks like this (click for bigger…a LOT bigger):

fbs.jpg

Flower Basket Shawl (IK Fall ’04), started March 22nd, 2007, finished April 3rd, 2007
Yarn: My own handspun (merino/tencel blend bought at VT S&W 2006 color: Autumn)
Needles: Size 7 Knitpicks Options
Dimensions: 65 1/2″ x 32″
Pattern Notes: I did 10 repeats of the Lower Flower Basket instead of 7 so it’s a tad bigger and used fingering weight instead of doubled laceweight.

Would I knit it again? Perhaps, if I had the right yarn. This was a quick knit – even in the middle of tax season I managed it in what, two weeks?

In driving news, my Jeep lived through it’s first and second excursion into the unsupervised teenage driving universe – at least I think it did…I’ll be checking for dents as soon as it stops raining snowing (wtf with the snowing?) ;o) I’ve also learned that my black-on-black with a little black to break up the black Jeep is considered pretty ‘sick’ at the high school…I ask you, does this now propel me into ‘cool mom’ status? ;o)

Dobby would also like me to tell you all a great big thanks for all your happy thoughts and advice :o) (I just hope she remembers some of the advice…)

38 Responses to Accomplishment…

• Christine says:

Absolutely gorgeous spinning and shawl!!! I think that is about the prettiest flower basket shawl I’ve seen yet!

And yes…… you have totally cool mom status.. but don’t let the kids know that you know!!!

• Ramona says:

Your daughter gets her license, you knit (with your own handspun) an absolutely gorgeous shawl and you are “sick” or cool or both. Sounds to me like you’re having a great week!

• jessie says:

Okay, first of all, I bought the same fiber while I was with you (different colorway). I spun half on my drop spindle and there it sits in a bag. So, seeing how absolutely gorgeous yours is, I feel I need to get back to that.

The shawl, too, is amazing.

And, I believe I have a wholesale order of the same merino-tencel fiber coming next week….

As for Dobby, it’s like this. No matter how “fast they grow up,” I maintain that the rapid change over the first few years of life is nothing compared to the teen years. Dobby is at full speed right now and where she will be in two years is nothing like where she was (or who she was, in many ways) two years ago.

She’s turning from a kid into an adult, and it starts with the independence of the driving…..

Enjoy your cold winter nights AT HOME this year!

Your shawl is beautiful – and in handspun! Great!

Sounds like you hit cool mom status to me. I’m glad the first alone driving experience went well for Dobby and the jeep!

Your shawl is absolutely beautiful!

Gorgeous! That’s so great that you’re using your own handspun which looks very even.

• Chrissy says:

It looks fabulous!!

• Jenny Raye says:

Beautiful!

It came out stunning, you super cool Mom!!!

• Julie says:

Nice one! It looks amazing with the stripiness of the yarn.

that’s just gorgeous. And the two week finishing time AND using handspun is something to proud of. Cool mom, indeed…

• Amy says:

I like how the yarn striped.

You are an “off the hook” mom. Totally.

Amy

• Rosa says:

That is a pretty flower basket. You are a knitting machine. The handspun is remarkable. You’ve given me the inspiration I need to keep going on my FBS and not stop to work on anything else. Thanks.

• heide says:

Oh Jessie, That shawl is just amazing. And YOU SPUN THE YARN?! If something that beautiful ever came out of my knitting then I’d have it framed and mounted in my living room. You are holding up excedingly well for the mother of a teenaged solo driver!

• margene says:

NIce, nice, nice!! It’s great to see you’ve survived so far.

• lynda says:

Your shawl is stunning – an I love that you spun the yarn!

I’m not looking forward to handing over my car… at all… I’ve kept it dent free for 5 years and it’ll be paid off next month… but still, it’s MINE!

• Amazing! Your shawl is gorgeous – and you made it so quickly. Your own handspun. That has got to feel good.

• Oh, that is beautiful! I’m not sure I’d manage to kick one out that fast though. Wow!

**Whoa**, that is one gorgeous shawl!

It’s a good thing we don’t have teenagers as we can barely field one car at a time; both of ours have been sick a lot lately. This is what happens when your “new” car is 11 years old. It may be time to shop.

• Beautifullly done for both yarn and shawl!
    =:8

• Katy says:

Jess–that shawl is simply gorgeous–I am in awe. ;)

• Cheryl says:

Wow, that is beautiful! And I love that it’s out of handspun!

• Kathy says:

It looks fabulous, J! Do you know what your yardage was? And I’m so impressed that it’s handspun — awesome. As for Dobby, I’m locking up my kids when they get to be 15. I’m not kidding!

• Melissa says:

It’s beautiful. You did a great job.

• Erin says:

Wow! I am totally inspired by that! Of course, I have to buy a high-speed adapter for my wheel in order to do that, but I think it would be worth it!

I don’t think there’s such a thing as a “cool mom”. Seriously!

I can’t believe you whipped up that Flower Basket Shawl during tax season.

You are a GOD!

• scout says:

It’s beautiful! You should be proud of that!

Absolutely beautiful work! Do we get to see it modeled?

Very, very pretty shawl! And the fact that is made with your handspun makes it even better. Beautiful spinning and knitting!

• Kris says:

One time my son told me there was no such thing as magic, it’s all science that’s not understood. I told him nonsense. Watching a sunrise/sunset is magical. The birth of an animal or person is magical and so on. I think your flower basket shawl is also magical to.

• christine says:

Only a really cool mom would knit such a “sick” shawl……totally sick, man…………

“Sick” That’s the new slang, eh? Heh heh.

FBS is gorgeous in your own handspun!

• knit chick says:

Yowza! Beautiful shawl!

• Bev says:

I agree with the crowd that your Flower Basket shawl looks amazing, and wow, two weeks. Your choice of color really looks lovely with the pattern. Great job.

As for the snow, I like it. Here it will go from winter to summer overnight so I want it to stay cool as long as possible!

• diane says:

“unsupervised teenage driving universe” Too funny! Love the shawl, quick knit you say. Maybe I’ll give it a try.

• heather says:

LOVE the shawl, it is really pretty.

• Lynne says:

Good Gracious that is pretty, Jess!

• Pingback: JessaLu Knits (and Spins!)