…I learned:

• Spending a large amount of $$ online purchasing spinning fiber right before going to an event really helps curb my spending.
  • So does not stopping at an ATM on the way there.
  • I may need to get over my fear of the Rip Van Winkle bridge since there are now at least two places in Catskill I’d like to visit. Yes they both sell yarn…what of it? ;o)
  • I do not possess the ability to read and absorb even the simplest of knitting patterns while listening to a book at the same time.

This weekend was the Chancellor’s Sheep & Wool Showcase which is held at Clermont in Germantown, NY. This is the earliest fiber event in my area (if there are others that I am not aware of, please do not be afraid to enlighten me) and probably the smallest. I went for the first time last year, I was not yet spinning at the time but I was thinking about it. Last year it was nice and warm – this year was cold and somewhat damp but I kept warm by wearing layers – and my new FBS. Let me just say (in case I haven’t already said it) that merino/tencel is SO soft and definitely ‘against the neck’ wearable.
clermont_shearing.jpgThe first thing I did when I got there was…well, visit the facilities and maybe I possibly cut the line by going into the men’s room out of sheer desperation (oh whatever, it’s the same thing, just a different sign on the door and there wasn’t a man in sight (I also got permission from the other women in line before me – I mean, if I had gone into the men’s room I would have gotten permission first *ahem* what?!?! I was in the car for an hour and a half, people. No judging!) The very next thing I did was watch some shearing. This ewe (lamb?) is 10 months old so this is her first shearing (when does a lamb become an ewe? After a year?). It is endlessly amazing to me how they just sit there like a lump all relaxed while they’re getting bent into a pretzel and clipped.

As I mentioned above, I’ve been going a little crazy over the past week buying spinning stuff online so while at the show I didn’t buy a whole lot, just one skein of sock yarn from Phoenix Fiberworks and a blocking kit – for HALF the price of the one on KnitPicks! w00t!Bittersweet

The colorway of the sock yarn is called Bittersweet but I grabbed it because it screamed Gryffindor to me. I’ve been looking online for a week with no luck for the right colors since the new Horcrux sock pattern was posted on the Six Sox Knitalong. Tina had some other great colorways and beautiful dyed roving but, as previously mentioned, I didn’t stop at an ATM on the way so not a lot of cash on hand. I hate having to be selective when it comes to buying at a show – however, I’m not too disappointed because she has an Etsy store ;o) (Also, some of you were interested in seeing me wearing my FBS, she took a photo of me and put it in her latest post – she even macro’d me, hehehehe)

Right now my new yarn is sitting on the coffee table waiting patiently since, even though I cannot post pictures to prove it, I am working on two top-secret knitting projects. One of which is seriously pushing my patience envelope since I have had to rip and re-knit one section of it THREE. TIMES. This is unheard of for me. Not that I’m perfect or anything – I’m just really good at covering screw-ups so I don’t have to rip. ;o) However, it is impossible to hide the fact that you have picked up stitches and started knitting the complete absolute WRONG WAY. I’m really working up a healthy case of hate for this thing so I might set it aside since I don’t want any bad vibes to be knit into a gift…you know? Also, I think I ripped once without needing to actually rip so…imagine the frustration. I actually threw it across the room last night – RR didn’t say a word. Just kept typing on his laptop after a quick glance up…smart man, eh? ;o)

Since I have no actual knitting pictures to show you…I shall distract you with more photos from Clermont:

clermont_lilac.jpg

clermont.jpg

clermont_encamp1.jpg

clermont_encamp.jpg

clermont_lion.jpg

clermont_lion11.jpg

The next fiber show is Connecticut on the 28th – who all is going? Will we be doing another picnic get-together this year (if it ever stops snowing, that is)? I promise to bring food and not mooch off Carole, Sharon and Heather this year ;o) Oh and how exciting is this? RR HAS THE DAY OFF!!! This is unheard of. He works Saturdays but his employer is trying this novel idea – rotating their employees so each one gets a Saturday off every three weeks. So, since his next Saturday falls on the 28th he has been pressed into service as my Sherpa for the day. Okay so I may have to kidnap him…this will be his first fiber fest so…let’s go easy on him, okay? (Also, we will not speak of my spending habits, mmmkay? I do not want to trigger the ‘This is why we are not *insert M word here*’ lecture *cough*) ;o)

22 Responses to This Weekend…

• Kathy says:

I’ll be at Connecticut and look forward to meeting Roger!

• Looks like a fun day! And such self control – great idea not hitting the ATM on your way.
    That colourway is very Gryffindor, nice find. (thanks for the link too – you always help out a fellow shopper!)
    I have to say those lions look so sad :-(
    Good man, RR – every gal needs a sherpa!

I remember when you went to this last year. I can’t believe you didn’t buy any fiber! Sharon and I can’t make CT this year as we’re doing a living history that day. Bummer, I know.

• Amy says:

RR as your Sherpa…that made me laugh out loud.

Amy

I love small fiber festivals! I have no plans for CT but hope to make it to MA and/or NH and possibly to Fiber Frolic as well. (Negotiations have been ongoing for some time at our house.)

• Valerie says:

After seeing your link to the CT fair yesterday I looked into it and realized that it’s not that far from where I live. So if nothing else comes up I will try to go. Can you tell me how big/small it is, compared to the Mass wool and sheep for example? And what is the entrance fee, if you remember. Thanks! : )

It looks like you had a lot of fun! I wish there were more fiber festivals out my way.

• amanda says:

That looks like a fun way to spend the day! And the yarn is lovely but your FBS of handspun is da bomb!!!

• beverly says:

I’m planning to be at the CT festival. Neal is going to watch the dog trials, too. I can’t wait!!

Looks like a fun event! I’m missing the CT show for the first time in a couple of years this year. :( Glad you picked up some of Tina’s yarn. I met her at Rhinebeck last year and she is a sweetheart!

• Joni says:

Man, I always forget about that festival!!! I read about it about 15 minutes before it was scheduled to be over on Saturday. I was a little disappointed with myself.

I guess I don’t remember where you are…the Clermont estate isn’t all that far from where I live, but I don’t remember you living so close to me.

• Alison says:

I always take a limited amount of cash for fiber festivals. Then, that’s it. I’ve always stayed within the budget.

Bathrooms – it always drives me crazy how at the MD S&W the woman’s line is always around the corner and NO ONE is ever in the men’s room. I’ve always thought that they should switch one or two of the men’s rooms to women’s for the festival since the women REALLY outnumber the men and it takes us longer anyway.

• I am so jealous of those of you that have multiple opportunities for fiber festivals. I’m lucky that we have a decent one within an hour’s drive but it is only once a year. Though, I suppose my wallet is happier that way :-)

Only one skein?! But I bet RR doesn’t know what it cost ;-) The same way the husband doesn’t know what the four skeins of souvenir yarn I got in NY cost!

• Melissa says:

Sounds like a decent time. It’s scary to let the “men folk” in on how much we actually spend on this hobby. Once my hubby bought yarn for Christmas, I knew I was going to have to scale back the buying. :)

Sounds like you had a good time. Love the color of the sock yarn! I will be at Ct sheep and wool with my husband and kids. I can’t wait! I’m hoping the weather will be decent!

Ewelamb until one year, then a yearling ewe, after 2 years then a ewe. :) Ask me anything, I can tell ya. lol

• KnitPastis says:

Oh if I lived there you betcha I would be there! That is something I would love to go to. I especially love these photos.
    I feel for you on the bad weather. We are having a ton of cold rain and up to 49 mile per hour winds. The basketball goal across the street came crashing down into the street nearly missing their car by three feet.

Yay for CT!!! I really wish I could have come with you on Saturday, but there was something about “work” and “obigation” and “only librarian” and they don’t seem to understand about fiber festivals.

Perhaps my bag boy and your sherpa can chat about Long Island or other such non-fiber things they have in common?

Sounds like a great day!

• Bev says:

It’s nice that you’ve learned some ways of keeping your festival spending under control. For me, it never works, I just end up spending more AT the festival in addition to before the festival!

• Cheryl says:

Hey, I’ll be at CT S&W! Can’t wait to see you again!