…she is out of the bag.

Not only is she out of the bag but she’s running around the room, jumping on stuff and calling way too much attention to herself.

…and you probably have no idea what the hell I’m talking about…let me clue you in.

The other night, Dobby and I had one of our wonderful mother-daughter ‘discussions’ which, as usual, consisted of much screaming, crying, guilt trips and throwing things (and that was just from RR) ;o). What started it was my lovely daughter’s inability to remember that there are people at home who love her and care about her and WORRY about her while she is not at home and therefore expect a freaking PHONE CALL when that someone who is running amok has written down the wrong work hours on the calendar and is therefore going to be an HOUR AND A HALF later than expected (AN HOUR AND A HALF. Imagine it). For some reason, she took offense to my tone. To which I replied that she would not have been offended by my tone if she had CALLED within a reasonable time – LIKE ON HER BREAK and told us when she was going to be home.

During this ‘discussion’ I happened to have my latest piece of ‘stealth knitting’ on my lap since I have been working on it non-stop since it needs to be finished by the 16th (in order to be blocked and dry in time for…you guessed it…prom.)

…did I mention guilt trips? Yes? Well you probably already know where I’m going with this…while I was getting yelled at (and doing some yelling myself) I looked down, noticed the shawl and before I could stop myself started yelling that dammit I deserve more respect than what I’m getting especially since I’ve been KILLING MYSELF knitting the damned Wing of the Moth shawl (which I have grown to dislike greatly since it’s keeping me from knitting my new STR kit – not the pattern, the pattern is lovely. I’m just selfish *ahem*) so she would have something to keep her half-nekkid self warm with while at Prom. This stopped all yelling. I felt kinda bad but hey, whatever works.

She walked away, into the game room, slammed the door (the only room in the house she’s allowed in that HAS a door – other than the bathroom) and five minutes later yelled, “THANK YOU.” through it. I’m guessing that was a thank you for the knitting…not the guilt.

The joys of teenagers….

So now you *all* know that I’m working on the WotM shawl and hope to finish it by prom which is on the 18th…or the 19th… (even though I want to set it on FIRE by this point). I’m knitting it in Zephyr wool/silk hand dyed especially for her by the lovely Scout (Dobby doesn’t know that part…yet…) in a charcoal-y black-y color which should go well with her dress. Which is black. Of course.

29 Responses to Le Cat…

Good times, eh?

• Beth S. says:

Oh, I’m so happy that you’re knitting Moth! It’s quite possibly my favorite shawl ever. The fact that it can get through to an angry teenager is just one more example of its magical properties. :-)

Have you seen Anne’s new design-in-progress? I can’t wait for that one, too.

• Liz says:

It’s always nice to have a trump card, isn’t it? I have yet to figure out what it is with my kids, but as long as you keep knitting Dobby impossibly beautiful stuff, you should be golden. Good luck with the call-when-you’re-late thing.

Given your track record with shawls, that’s quite a cat to pull out. I hope for the next couple of weeks at least she is reduced to groveling, sniveling gratitude, or at least basic civility.

I am *so* not looking forward to the teen years, especially when there are already much-too-long stretches of time when Miss B will growl at me if I in any way call attention to my existence.

• scout says:

Wait. NO PICTURE?!?!?! I wanna seeeeeeeeeeeee it!

Damn girl.

Ah, the joy of knowing that I never want kids. Thanks for the bc reminder. ;)

• Helen says:

Ack! You make me afraid of the teenage years.

I’m just glad I don’t have to relive them!

• jenifleur says:

Mom, wherever you are? I’M SORRY!!!!!!

• Mindy says:

I am not looking forward to the teenage years. Yikes!

Trump cards are always good.

• Melissa says:

I know it doesn’t make you feel any better to know that every kid does that. Why do you think I gave the advice when she got her license to “call if you are going to be late”. I was terrible with this. I have no idea why.
    I know she’ll appreciate the shawl.
    Poor you for having to worry though. Luckily for my parents my dad was the cheif deputy, so he would just put a locate on me and know I was okay within minutes. LOL. How embarrassing!

• Amy says:

Ahhh, the blessings of motherhood. Maybe I should get long-term care insurance so that when the twins turn 16 I can go in “the home”.

Just a thought.

Amy

• Lizzy B says:

You are a seriously kick-ass-cool Mom. A WoTM shawl for prom? You rock! It was nice of Dobby to thank you at least. Not that this excused the tantrum like behavior, but teenagers are, well, teenagers.

• sandy says:

That shawl will be gorgeous.
    Honestly, wrapping the shawl around a teenagers neck is widely frowned upon.
    Believe ME!
    :D
    Enjoy that “thank you”.

• anne says:

oh wow! i’m going to the PROM! i’m going to the prom. i’m going to the prom . . . thanks!
    i never went to a prom!

• Bethany says:

So much sympathy to you about raising teenagers!! I have a 15 year old daughter who is putting me through hell right now. I want to enjoy this part of her life. She is my youngest, and my last, and it’s going to be over before we know it, BUT there are days when I am ready to throw in the towel, “Enough, grow up already!!” My 17 year old son put me through the emotional wringer, too, but in a different way, and right now he’s the easy one. Thank goodness they are only horrible one at a time.

Hang in there!

• jessie says:

Good God, woman, are you trying to give me a heart attack? All I could read in Bloglines was that the cat was out of the bag, but I couldn’t open your whole blog (slow computer these days).

I thought Dobby was pg.

Phew.

Gawd, I’m glad I’m having a boy.

And, I admit to scanning the first paragraph quickly to be sure she wasn’t pg, too. Guess Jessie and had the same bad thoughts.

Ah, teenagers . . . at least she shouted Thank you…. (grin)

I feel for you!

• Ramona says:

Don’t worry, one day you will be old and senile, yelling at her and slamming doors.

• heather says:

As a teacher of said age group – you’re doing the right thing! Too many of students have the ability to run amok b/c of the lack of accountability, so hang in there! :-) that is some *wicked* nice knitting you are doing for prom, she is a lucky girl!

• That has got to warm the heart of mothers of teens allover – that shouted Thank You from behind a closed door. :-D

• deidre says:

Ya gotta love the “teenage years”……….when they are over!
    Hang in there

May I add this to my list of why I’m not having children?

Nothing like a handknit shawl to win an argument. :-)

That sure makes the knitting bittersweet. WoM on a deadline? You are NUTS. But a great knitter.

I love Ramona’s response.

You can’t get through your teen years with out a few guilt trips!

• That’s so shocking because I always thought she was the most easy-going teenager.

Yeah. I couldn’t even keep a straight face when I wrote it.

:-O

You’re a good Mom. And she knows it.

• beverly says:

Nothing like knitting lace on a deadline, is there? Love that color!!