This weekend consisted of doing a whole bunch of nothing (I managed to get mostly caught up on my Bloglines and weed the garden.  w00t!) with the highlight of a party on Saturday. RR’s niece graduated High School so it was time to celebrate!

I spent 90% of the party knitting or spinning with my Grafton Fibers drop spindle (acquired at Rhinebeck) which prompted lots of questions since, believe it or not, there are members of RR’s family that haven’t seen the obsessive level of my fibery pursuits. A couple of those questions stood out and I thought I’d share them with you guys. The first:

BIL twice removed (married to the sister of RR’s fiance): “So…do you do this stuff a lot? Like, all the time? Obsessively?”
Me: “Yep, it keeps me from smoking cigs again or eating everything in sight.”
BILtr (eyeing the cashmere/silk blend I was spinning with a bleary eye): “Will you knit me a thong? I could really use a cashmere thong.”
Me: “*coughs* That would be a definite no.”

…then there was the cutest:

3yo great-niece (aka ‘DaNiece’ her twin brother is known as ‘DaNephew’) sees me spinning as she’s running by and stops dead in her tracks: ” WHAT are you DOING?!?! ” (using the same tone you would expect when hearing, “Are you CRAZY or something?”)
Me: “Making yarn!”
DN makes a grab for spindle and yanks – which leads my thoughts to Deb’s post of the other day. The kid is lucky she’s cute ;o) Her father was also right there and stopped her mid-yank.

…and the best:

Cousin J: “What kinds of things do you knit and how long does it take?”
Me: “Oh I knit lots of things – socks, sweaters, shawls…I knit Dobby a shawl (yes, I called her Dobby) for her prom. As for how long it takes, ask her about that one.”
Cousin J looks to Dobby for answers…
Dobby (deadpan): “Her whole life.”

…yep, that about sums it up ;o)

16 Responses to Yep, that about sums it up…

*grin* I got that this weekend too, I’m thinking it deserves it’s own post.

You should have offered to teach him how to knit his OWN thong. ;)

I love conversations like that!

Gotta spread the knowledge somehow!

• heide says:

I brought out my drop spindle this weekend too and received quite a few inquiries from distant family members, etc. who acted like I had a screw loose when I told them what I was doing. Luckily none of them tried to touch it. They weren’t young and cute and I definately would have hurt them. Eeewe on the thong.

Awwww! Look at the cute little girl. Why does she have a cast on her hand?

That describes my weekend perfectly…a whole lotta nothing. Minus the party and fiber questions.

Hee hee, that’s great. What an, ahem, interesting weekend it must have been.

Aren’t muggles funny? (Incidently, bravo to you for not killing that kid that grabbed for the spindle!)

• Wanda says:

Too cute. People are funny about seeing us knit and spin, that’s for sure.

• Alison says:

Yeah, I had a recent stint in the ER (I’m okay) and I had the foresight to grab my sock in progress on the way out the door. My mother commented that she didn’t know how I could sit and knit in the emergency room; my response was how could I not!

• Ramona says:

Wait, so this was a guy asking you to knit him a thong?

Very cute conversations! Muggles…

• diane says:

Thanks for the wheel comment. Ho, I’m with the cast comment, too funny!

Yay you! raising Muggle consciousness, or at least eyebrows. If I hadn’t been determined to pack light, I would have brought a drop spindle to use on the plane. Actually several planes (there’s no such thing as a nonstop flight these days).

My husband was at the Nascar Race this weekend so the kids and I did a whole lot of nothing too.

• Yipes! I cannot believe someone would ask a person to make them a thong – or let them know that they could ‘use a cashmere thong’. I would say that is definitely TMI.

But Dobby – that is the best oneliner re:knitting yet!