On to vacation stuff :o) We did have a good one – most of my crankiness in my first post-vacation post was due to the lovely cold I developed on day 4 which lingered to day…well… it’s still lingering but I’m feeling much better than I did on day 5 or 6 ;o)

We didn’t do a lot of the usual vacation stuff that you do when you go to Maine – since we had just acquired a camper we decided that shopping wasn’t a good choice so we passed on Kittery, we had two dogs with us so we decided that making them sit in the sun for hours while we all baked on the beach probably wasn’t a good choice either and we have seen just about every lighthouse there is to see on the lower East coast of the state.

So we sat at the campsite all day and went out for dinner at lobster shacks so RR could watch me eat shellfish every night while he had a cheeseburger ;o) (he hates seafood but loves me enough to make sure I get lots when we go to the seaside – he gets lots of man points for that *g*)

When I say ‘lobster shacks’ I’m kind of joking since we did go to a couple of ‘real’ restaurants – one of which used to be a lobster shack but has since moved up in the world and has become a mecca of tourism (Cape Neddick…something…there were lots of tourists but it was the 2nd best lobster I had while there – and the biggest).  For those of you who are interested in the food (who wouldn’t be, right?) the best tasting lobster was had at the Blue Moon Diner (that link is for a review from 2002 and guess what?  Service is still slow…) on Route 1, the worst at Cascades (oh it was awful – the lobster was undercooked and the chowder was even worse, totally canned).  The absolute best hands down chowder I have had while in the state of Maine was had at The Good Table in Cape Elizabeth – so good, in fact, that I was upset that I only ordered a cup and had to eat my gyro (which was also excellent…just not the chowder) instead of ordering another bowl so I didn’t look like a complete pig…and now I’m wondering if they do mail order…

We did see a couple of lighthouses and believe it or not I managed to find some yarn ;o)  Unfortunately the only day we had available to go North was a day that the Spunky shop was closed so I didn’t get wool…just yarn.

Now you guys probably want to see some photos, right?  ;o)

S'mores
Portland Head Light
Portland Head Light

Heron
Ducks !!
Camp

Sunset

There are more on Flickr…yarn photos and monster squash coming soon! ;o)

13 Responses to Maine – the 2007 Tour

• michelle says:

I should be sleeping – but now all I can think about is lobster, lobster, and some chowder. None of that in this house :)

Sounds like you had a great trip! The Lobster and chowder sounds so good.

Great pics!

Sounds like a great vacation to me. I like to eat my lobster at home, though, where I can truly dive into it!

Oooooh, sounds so relaxing – which is so nice for a vacation. You know, not feeling like you have to see all the sights every day, and then coming home and still being tired. Mmmmm, lobster too. Yup, sounds perfect.

• chris says:

Awesome!!! We usually end up cooking lobsters at the campsite at least one time on our New England Vaca’s. And wait till you see the screen rooms for the camper – it gives you a whole other “room” to be in – I love ours, keeps the squito’s and black flies offa me!!

How sad that you were so close to Spunky and yet couldn’t see any of the glorious wool.

• Ramona says:

I have always wanted to visit Maine. I think because when I was a kid it just looked really far away on the US map. It sounds like it was a great time.

• Sarah says:

Looks like fun, and all this talk of lobster has me craving some RIGHTNOW!

Fantastic pix! I love the heron one. So far in my life I have had either a clear, close-up view of cool bird(s) or my camera (or neither). Clever you to have had both.

Sounds like a nice relaxing time. Would you believe my guy is from Maine and doesn’t do lobster either? He also makes sure I get one though. :) I didn’t realize spunky had a shop until after I came back this last time, so I’m going to have to do something about that when we go back again.

• Jenny Raye says:

Whoo Hoooo! You got the little hangy lights for the awning braces. You’re a real camper now :o)

Sounds like you guys had a great time–well, except for the cold.

• knit chick says:

Love the pictures! The Taj looks tres cool. Makes me want my upcoming camping trip to get here *now*! :-)

Sounds like a perfect vacation. Glad you had fun and plenty of seafood….although I feel the same way about it as RR does. I keep trying it thinking I’ll develop a taste for it, but that hasn’t happened yet.