About four years ago RR and I were discussing buying in bulk so I could cut down my trips to the grocery store. I liked the idea but at the time I had only my kitchen fridge and his ‘beer’ fridge to hold frozen items. Some people would think this is a lot of space but for two ice cream addicts like ourselves, we needed a dedicated freezer for the ‘real’ food.

We priced out freezers and decided that we couldn’t afford to purchase one at that time. I was disappointed, I had visions of super sized bags of frozen broccoli and biscuits dancing through my head which were now pointing and laughing at me and my hopes.

But lo I had forgotten about the wonder of the Trading Post (a radio show every Saturday morning on our local AM station where people can call in to unload their crap). RR called me one Saturday morning and told me that we had a freezer! Yay! It was old but it still worked – and it had only held ice for the package store down the street from us (so I wasn’t inheriting someone else’s mess).

I was happy until I got the electric bill. 30 years ago they did not have Energy Star ratings. I learned this the hard way when my electric bill went up $40+ a month. Of course, this all happened about the same time that I was home more so I attributed it to me sucking up all that extra energy by using the TV and the heat/ac more than when I was working out of the home 8 hours a day.

I eventually came to realize that it was, in fact, not my fault that we were going into major debt with the electric bill and so began my campaign to rid ourselves of ‘the beast’.

Yes, the broccoli was laughing at me again, in case you are wondering.

Eventually I managed to clean the thing out and unplugged it. When did this happen? October 8, 2007, to be exact. How do I know this? I wrote it on the calendar. Yes, I am that anxious to prove my point.

However, I do not want to give up my freezer space so when I began ‘the beast’ campaign, I also began my ‘energy star is good’ campaign and started looking at new freezers (again). RR was insisting that I was going to have the old freezer or nothing. I was insisting that we needed the space or I was going to start driving to Albany once a week again which is WAY more gas than either of us want to burn. Since he is the one that would be doing the actual moving into the house, he wins. I just don’t have the muscle to win that argument.

What I didn’t do was take into account the FD steak dinner. Silly me, I could have saved myself so many hours of nagging!

You see, every year the Fire Department holds a steak dinner and every year they have meat left over and every year, we end up with 25lbs of new york strip steak. Guess who came home with steak this year and had no place to put it?

Even more important, GUESS WHO HAS A NEW ENERGY STAR FREEZER? Ha! I say!  Resistance is futile.

Happy Christmas to Me

…knitting updates forthcoming, I promise! The freezer is just more interesting than my CPH at this point (this point being two sleeves and not much else). ;o)

22 Responses to A Tale of Two Freezers

• They do say the way around a man is through his stomach…
    Ok, maybe I tweaked that one a little.

But yay for energy efficient freezers! Man that beast was guzzling the juice. Good call.

• Julie says:

Grandma used to put *everything* on her calendar and I have definite leanings in that direction myself. You never know what that’ll be useful ;) Glad you got your new freezer! I’ve had mine a year and love it.

So, what happened to the Beast? Some place to hide some of the yarn and fiber?

We have a freezer in the garage and I don’t know what I’d do without it!

*snickers* YOU WIN!

I grew up with two dedicated standing freezers (the size of a refrigerator each) in the basement. We got along fine until Dad decided for some UNGODLY

ooops… let me finish that now. (it’s early, sue me)

… reason to store that year’s head ‘o pig from the pig roast in one of them, barely wrapped in tinfoil. What the hell was that about!?

hmmph.

• Carla says:

So the steaks did it, but the fact that several months of that increased electric bill would have PAID for the new freezer, didn’t?

We’re shopping for one ourselves. We’ve been putting it off far too long. But now that the kids are getting older and eating much much more (I have three boys.. it will only get worse!) Its becoming a bigger priority.

Anyway, congrats and yay for Energy Star! I’m sure you remember me singing loud and clear how my bill went down in TWO WEEKS after we installed our energy star fridge ;)

• Erin says:

Yay for a new energy star freezer! It’s gorgeous!

• I’m lusting after a deep freeze. We’re only two, but it would have been very useful for garden produce, as it is so flipping hot at “canning” time and we don’t have AC. SIL1 “registered” for a deep freeze last year so almost everyone gave her and her husband gift cards for the location they are chosen their freezer from. I told DH I think I want to do that this year. The one we gave to BIL1 – I taped it to a box of freezer bags and wrapped that, LOL!

• scout says:

Yay for you!

• Risa says:

Yay!!!

We have a freezer in the garage too which is quite necessary considering the only fridge in the house is a stupid side-by-side with minimal freezer space. Those things should be outlawed :)

• michelle says:

So what your saying is you now have a new freezer full of ice cream and steak? Let’s do lunch! :)

A big fridge-sized freezer (a new EnergyStar one) was the first thing we bought on moving into our new, considerably bigger house. It makes life so much easier.

It warms my heart to know that my guy and I are not the only ones that need extra freezer space in no small part due to our “ice cream addiction”. ;) We got a small 5 cu. ft. one a few months back and love it (and it’s all we can do considering we are still apt. dwellers). Enjoy your new space and energy savings!

Yay!

Life is so much better and easier with a big freezer in the garage. No, not just for yarn. :p

• Congrats on the new freezer. We have a freezer in our basement and it is really nice to have the extra space.

Yay for the new freezer!

• Elinro says:

You win. =D

Nice! Nothing like major pounds of steak to get a guy to relent, eh?

• Bev says:

Well, you know. Men understand about needing space to keep their meat. Boys will be boys.

• Wanda says:

ha, I love the way you think! Good for you. Glad you managed to get the new freezer after all!

• heide says:

Hooray for the new freezer! I agree with Bev’s assessment of men and them having a special meat box.