…what did you think? (ETA: I fixed the link to Kelli’s blog – sorry about that! Don’t take away my award, k? *grin*)

I just finished watching tonight’s ‘Mansfield Park’ – this week’s installment of ‘The complete Jane Austen’ on PBS. I’m not sure if I like it or hate it or am just ‘meh’ about it. Mostly, I had trouble getting over Billie Piper portraying Fanny. I kept expecting The Doctor to pop out from behind a shrubbery to whisk her away to the Tardis for a fun time-travel adventure where they save the world from the Daleks. Also, if she had picked a color other than purple, do you think Edmund would still have realized that he had fallen in love with her? ;o)

Next week is ‘Jane Austen Regrets’ and the actress who will be playing Jane is none other than Olivia Williams who played Jane Fairfax in the 1996 version of Emma. Which I own and watched again today (RR’s getting a little sick of all the period romance and can’t wait for NASCAR to start up so he can get a good hit of testosterone. I think I saw his eyes actually glaze over tonight, poor guy). Hopefully I won’t get all confused about which Jane is which – with my memory, I may have to take notes. ;o)

If you’ve been watching the series, please let me know what you think of it so far – I’d love to hear your opinion!

In knitting news, I’ve completed the back of the CPH and cast on the Left Front. Moving right along! :o) Also, my Aunt received her socks on Saturday and loves them – AND they’re not itchy! HA! ;o)

In blogging news, waaaay back in November, Kelli aka Knitterbunny nominated me for a Nice Matters award! It is very much appreciated and I am very sorry that I didn’t’ have a chance to mention it before now. Part of being nominated is getting to pass the award on – so, now I get to choose seven blogs from my Google Reader list to nominate.

This is no easy task. It’s not that I can’t find a nice blogger – it’s that I find too many nice bloggers! I went through my list a few times and narrowed it down. I went with Kelli’s example and tried to choose bloggers who take a moment to respond to comments. It really is important – at least, it is to me. It was one of the main reasons why I chose to self-host and use WordPress – so I could respond to each comment individually, even if only to say, “Thanks!” ;o)

So, without further ado:

Betty – Elizzabetty Knits

Cynthia -Cygknit

Heide – Serendipitous Opportuknitty

Karen – Needles and Wool

Kathy – Knitigator

Katy – Knitterpated

Ragan – Ragan Knits

I wish I could have chosen more recipients! Thanks again, Kelli, for nominating me – I’m very honored! :o)

14 Responses to So…

As much as I love to read Jane Austen I don’t enjoy the movies of the books as much. I guess I like to have my own ideas about how people and places look in her world. So, I haven’t been watching. But I’m glad you’re enjoying it.

Yay for non itchy socks!

• beverly says:

I actually fell asleep at the climax. One moment, Edmund is breaking it all off with that Mary girl, the next thing I knew, he and Fanny were getting married.

I’m pleased to have “good” tv to watch on Sunday nights, but I’m not nuts about the adaptations. For instance, with last night’s, I don’t think the movie got the sense of Fanny’s being second best to her girl cousins throughout her childhood, and that’s really important to the whole story…too much has to be abridged to make them fit the allotted time, I suppose.

I love the 1996 Emma, so it’s going to be tough to watch a different one, but I’ll suffer!!!!!

• Mary Ann says:

I’m watching the series also. The first Sunday was really good, but each subsequent episode has seemed weaker to me. Last night was just so-so. But I really like seeing the period settings and costumes. I was trying to visualize how the cast must have practiced to learn the various period dances. I remember learning similar things in elementary school, and there was a lot of silly laughing and comments about how “stupid” this dance is. Things have really changed on the dance floor.

“Meh” pretty much describes it. I mis-timed my DVD-recorder and only taped one hour instead of 90 minutes, and when I heard it shutting down at 10:00 my thought was, “Oh . . . oh well,” rather than “Oh no!” I felt the entire thing was rushed–it’s a big book to squeeze into 90 minutes, and I found myself glad that I’ve read the original many times so that I at least knew what was happening. (And a daylight ball? What was that about?) The actress that played Fanny? I’ve never seen Dr. Who so that didn’t bother me, but I hated the shape of her mouth and chin and thought “monkey” every time I saw her. Nice hair, though. She was still pretty lively for Fanny, though–as I read the character, she never would have been actively playing hide-and-seek in front of other people at ALL, let alone doing so while ignoring Henry Crawford. Jane Austen’s Fanny was so meek, it’s hard to picture her doing any seeking whatsoever to go with her “hiding!”

• Heide says:

It was tolerable. My Dh kept asking me why she was the only character with her hair down and frumpy when even the servants wore theirs up. I had no answer for him, but he wouldn’t shut up about it. The overall impression I had was that the story was rushed and edited to fit 90 minute and that character development suffered. I still preferred it to NASCAR or just about anything my DH would have chosen though. I’m enjoying the series.

Thank you for nominating me for being nice. I’m very embarrassed now because yesterday’s post was quite snarky and petty. (Hanging head in shame).

• It was a little lame – is it just me or do both this and Northanger Abbey lack all subtlety? The characters seem so broadly painted as ‘bad’, ‘good’, ‘deceptive’, ‘innocent’. They have been a little more shockingly worldly than I expected.

I wish there were any eligible gentlemen about when I am selecting yarns – I didn’t realize what a strong inducement to true love it could be. ;-)

Shockingly I haven’t seen Dr. Who so I wasn’t distracted by anything more than how dark her eyebrows were compared to her hair. Also, we were watching the version that included commentary for the blind – and hopefully I don’t offend anyone when I say how very funny that can be. ‘Fade to black’ is delivered as rapidly and with the same emotion as ‘her ample chest heaved in it’s square cut bodice, watching this closely Edmund then averts his eyes.’ Those people are really getting a blow-by-blow!

I am excited for Miss Austen Regrets – I love that actress, but know her from Rushmore and Sixth Sense.

• Betty says:

Awe, you got me all verklempt! Thank you!!!

• Beth S. says:

Mansfield Park awaits me on the DVR. I can’t say that I’m optimistic. I loved Billie Piper as Rose, but I think she’s all wrong to portray Fanny (Austen’s most milquetoast heroine, if you ask me.)

Would you believe I have never seen the 1996 Emma? I’m really looking forward to it. Kate Beckinsale was so great back in the day, before she got so skinny and started playing vampires and Goth girls.

• Kathy says:

How sweet are you!!! Thank you :-)

I haven’t seen that version of Mansfield Park, but if Billie Piper is in it, I know I couldn’t get over waiting for the Doctor.

Aw shucks. Thanks Jess! :)

• Lisa says:

I’m enjoying Jane Austen too–I love all her books that I have read. I couldn’t really get into Mansfield Park though–I think it’s because I don’t know the story that well. They are leaving a lot of detail out of these mini-movies! It also doesn’t help that I have moving stress! I can’t wait to see the rest of them!

• Ramona says:

I finished watching the last episode of Dr Who with Billie/Rose/Fanny on TIVO and then immediately started watching Mansfield Park so it was a little strange. The other male character (can’t think of his name) was also on a BBCA show called “Hex” and that was all I could think about every time he opened his mouth to speak.