…by JessaLu.

I saw this idea over here a few weeks ago and it kind of stuck in my head (it is being done in this group on Ravelry).  Partly because of the economy being what it is and my yarn budget being what it isn’t and partly because the idea of a traditional sock club stopped appealing to me somewhere around December 2007 when I decided to not sign up for the STR club for the third straight year.

Also, the idea of knitting down the stash is looking better and better because I realized the other day that if I were digging through my stash while I happened to be home by myself and my storage cubes fell down on me, the odds of my being crushed to death under the weight of my stash are way better than I’d like.  Therefore, I am planning on knitting from stash yarn until the odds of survival are more firmly in my favor.  ;o)

For the sock club, the premise is this, you go through your sock yarn stash and pair up yarn you own with patterns you’d like to knit.  You put them together into 12 different bags (that you can’t see through – no cheating!) and at the beginning of each month, you pick a bag and knit the pattern that’s in the bag with the yarn you’ve already picked out from your stash.

Bonus:  You already love the yarn and the pattern since you picked it out yourself.

Bonus #2:  You get to use yarn that’s been marinating forever – or new stuff.  Whatever you pick!

Bonus #3:  You get socks.  ;o)  12 pair, even.

It took me a while to do my picking because of the time of year and I’m the Queen of Procrastination.  I decided to completely skip January since I was so late and just jumped right into February – and this meant I only needed to pick 11 pattern/yarn pairings.  I did the pairing, the printing and the bagging over the weekend and on Monday I had RR pick out a bag for me.  What did he pick?

Mad Color Weave...

Mad Color Weave sock pattern paired with some Black Bunny Fiber sock yarn in the colorway “Rosebush”.  I can’t wait to get started!

19 Responses to Sock Club…

• opal says:

i saw that over at a few other blogs too and i’m sorely tempted to join you all! i adore this month’s pick of yours!

opals last blog post..How appropos.

This is a fun idea. You’re going to love the Mad Weave pattern!

Caroles last blog post..Knit. Read. Knit.

• Elinor says:

So clever. I’d do this, but I’m supposed to be planning for SKA all year. Maybe I’ll do it with the *rest* of my sock yarn.

Elinors last blog post..Happy 2009!

• Jenn says:

I didn’t know you were in the Stash Down Group! I was tempted to do the Personal Sock Club, but never got around to it. Maybe I’ll do a six month one.

Jenns last blog post..LOL Therapy, part 2

Smart woman! My friend Amy in Virginia is doing the same thing. I think you’re going to enjoy this, I really do, and then you can feel good for all the reasons you listed there. No stash is too big until it starts to overwhelm you. Since you’re at that point, knock ‘em out!

Truth be told though, I’d do a whole crapload on the CSM too, then you can REALLY make a dent.

Anyway, I wish this would work for me, but I knit socks too slowly for it to be effective. And I’m socked out. But I suppose it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have them ready to go for the fun surprise of it all, when I’m ready to go back to socks.

Ooo, that’s going to be gorgeous!

Comment about your last post, The Dark Crystal scared me silly as a child too. Now, I see the genius of the puppetry.

Jennifers last blog post..It’s Food Sunday

• Beverly says:

Smart idea. I love that yarn–perfect for February.

Beverlys last blog post..Back to the Future

• Risa says:

I’ve really got to get my “sock club” bags set up. maybe when the most recent sock yarn purchase arrives I’ll do it. Might be 10 month club for me ;)

• Robin Marie says:

I love this idea! I don’t know if I actually have that much sock yarn, but I think I’ll do one every 2 months so that I can try and keep up with my sweater challenge as well:)

Robin Maries last blog post..Good fun…

I saw the same post at Jeanne’s and loved the idea. However, I know that some of the yarn in my sock stash is stuff I have no idea for. Pressuring myself into finding something to do with it in a month’s time would not be a happy thing.

Thankfully, you’re not nearly as weird as I am, so you’ll do great and RR picked a winner for you this month.

Cookies last blog post..A Wisp of Lust

NICE idea. Of course the only socks I knit are usually the plain, stockinette variety, and it takes me at least two months to make them since I only work on them when I’m out somewhere with my purse and end up with extra time, but still… It’s a great idea!

–Debs last blog post..Rockin’ & Rollin’

Not a bad idea, but I know I would cheat. Sometimes things just don’t go together, even if you thought they would to start with. I am knitting down the stash some though.

Kellis last blog post..Marelda

• AllyB says:

What a fabulous idea! I’m going to seriously consider this and by the time I get done considering I’ll only have to do 10 bags! hahaha

AllyBs last blog post..Playin Possum

Now *that’s* a really interesting idea!

Jessicas last blog post..The kindness of friends

• michelle says:

I like this idea! I know I’d be great at the bagging and picking part….but I’ve been knitting the same pair of socks for a year now. Maybe that should be not knitting the same pair :)

michelles last blog post..Fresh Start

What a great idea! I have been trying to knit from the stash for a while now and while I have mostly stuck with it, it is shocking how little of a dent I have made.

Karens last blog post..WIP Wednesday 2/4/09

• If I was a bit more organised, I’d be joining you. I am thinking of just putting yarn in a bag and getting a surprise each month…. Then I’d have to find the patterns! Not like as if I don’t have a gazillion queued on Ravelry.

lynne s of ozs last blog post..Mmmm, stash

• karin mt says:

Oh yeah!

karin mts last blog post..orchids

• Neil says:

testing your cookies re: your comment on my site

Flickr Recent Photos
Lots of handles today! #ironingallthethings then #sewingallthethingsMy big bag o buttons showed up this morning! If I see you at a show this spring, I'll give you one! (You can find my show schedule at stitchedbyjessalu.com or in my Ravelry group!) #stitchedbyjessalu  #IneedacloneFinished the large skep and almost two crowns  #crossstitch #handmade #moderatelypacedstitcher ;)1/4 of the way there for CT S&W prep! #CTsheepandwool2014 #sewingallthethings #stitchedbyjessaluAll I have to say is...this better melt.  #itISaprilrightA little more progress!  finished the bird hexi and started a large skep. Sorry I've been so cross-stitch heavy lately - getting ready for shows eats my brain and this feels more mindless than knitting ;) #crossstitch #handmade #IswearIllpostsomethingdiff

Powered By