…my vacation was filthy with it.  For the most part I just sat with my wheel or knitting and soaked it in (or tried to avoid it, depending on how many legs it had…)  Once in a while, though, I did remember to break out the camera so I’d have something to show for my week and a half of camping in the Adirondacks.  ;o)

On Saturday, Cookie mentioned that RR dragged me on a hike.  Up a mountain.  She was right.

He brought me up a ‘short walk’ to see Buttermilk Falls (ETA: these falls are in Lake Luzerne/Fourth Lake, NY, not Ithaca)

Buttermilk Falls

Buttermilk Falls

Buttermilk Falls

Buttermilk Falls

Buttermilk Falls

Sasquatch wuz here

Just for the record, his idea of a ‘short walk’ and mine do not coincide.  Buttermilk Falls?  Is on this hill:

Buttermilk Falls Mountain

If I didn’t know better, I’d think he was trying to kill me.

I did think it was very cool – the falls flow down a section of solid rock that is very slick when wet – RR says it makes for quite the natural water slide when you’re a kid and can bounce, not so much when you’re a grown-up.  ;o)

After the short walk hike, we drove into the town of Lake Luzerne to see where the Hudson River begins:

The beginning of the Hudson

The beginning of the Hudson

RR took these pictures.  Want to know why?

The beginning of the Hudson

Yeah.  I don’t do heights…or bridges.  I made it three steps out and froze, he dragged me back and took the camera out of my white, shaking hands to take pictures.  For the blog.  He also did not laugh at me.  It almost makes up for the short walk hike.  Almost.

24 Responses to Nature…

• Opal says:

oof. you’re a better woman then i am. i’d have run screaming!

gorgeous photos!

What a spectacular view! I’m pretty sure I would have been at least as annoyed at the hike as you, but at least you got great pictures to show for it.

He won’t try to kill you until after the wedding because then he can collect on your life insurance.

• Anne says:

Unless he’s already listed as her benefactor, than he might try to kill her before the wedding.

Welcome home from Nature! ;^)

• Julie says:

I have to agree, it doesn’t look like a short hike but it does look beautiful and well worth it. I’m with you on that heights thing, ugh!

• Manise says:

Buttermilk Falls in Ithaca, NY?? I used to go there when I lived in Ithaca in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Beautiful photographs. I too have a fear of heights- gets worse with age for me.

Cracking up at Carole’s comment.

• Anne says:

I can’t tell you how VERY northeast those photos are to my (now) Southwestern area eyes. The trees, the rocks, the sky. Sigh. Miss all of those come the fall.

• Maeghan says:

Yay! You survived nature! :) I love the photos, so beautiful.

• beverly says:

Welcome home! I’m the same way on bridges. I have a ton of pictures from the gorge in Taos that someone else had to take while I clung to one of my friends and stood in the middle of the bridge. Like that was any safer!

• Wonderful photos and I’m happy to hear you had a good time!!!

• Harriet says:

Those don’t look like the same Buttermilk Falls that I know. Those are in Ithaca. Remind me to tell you about the short “walk” we took up the the gorge trail.

It looks so pretty. But I sense you’re very happy to be home. Welcome back.

• AllyB says:

Fabulous photos Jess, glad you had a nice trip.

• Rachel says:

Beautiful nature. I think those falls deserve a little hike!

I too have heights issues but mine comes and goes which makes it really weird.

He is trying to kill you, isn’t he? o.0

I’m with you on the heights. Jeez! What was he thinking? I hope you’re recovering from all that nature today.

Btw, it really is beautiful over there. Not worth a death march, but truly beautiful.

• margene says:

Not a fan of heights, either but love being outdoors and hiking the mountains. I’m looking forward to my first hike next spring.

• RR says:

Holy Moley … GOD forbid you actually have to WALK .. a little ….don’t forget these are the places I have to RUN up to !…while carrying equipment …just so when we get there I can strap some dumas :) down and carry the sorry bastard all the way down .. and never get to enjoy on my own. soon we’ll be able to see some views whilst burning fossil fuels ! as for Anne we’ll keep the pics coming and some more color on the way …AS for the others … Well ….SPLOOOEWWT !!!* tongue strawberries * to you and all your insurance scam talk …. the rocks are slick and she knew it …and then she wouldn’t go on the bridge..!!
    Oh and Cookie I’ll let you have some more pics ….. since YOU like ’em ..

• Nature – my vacation was filthy with it.
    That is one of the best lines I have ever read!

What a gorgeous spot. I love that little Sasquatch – that’s awesome.

You were a really good sport on that short walk – what a trickster RR is.

• Hillary says:

Great pictures. I’m with you on the hikes and the heights. Not so much on either of them but i’m trying to learn to love hiking – or at least get in good enough shape so that it doesn’t kill me.

• Carol says:

Totally beeyootiful! I love the natural waterslide. It is very nifty.

• Carrie K says:

That is gorgeous.

• I don’t do heights either, altho when it comes to a shot I don’t know my camera takes over and leads me….LOL.

• Chris says:

I don’t do heights, but I’m ok with hiking up hills and being on bridges. It looks gorgeous, even if it was, you know, outside and all. *shudders sympathetically*

• Ah yes, walking. I think I’ve walked about 30 miles a week over the last three weeks and my feetsies are hurtsies!
    I also saw Lake Luzern but I think it might’ve been a different one. ;-)

• Pingback: ECF… | JessaLu Knits (and Spins!)