…the one with all the reading.

This week we have the directive to come up with a list of 10 Favorite Children’s Books.  This one is going to be easy for me since I spent most of my childhood reading – I wasn’t allowed a whole lot of TV watching so I spent much of my time in my room with the best friends I had at the time, my books.  Ready?

1.  The Little Golden Books.  One of my first reading memories is of The Happy Little Puppy – and I remember reading it to Dobby when she was little.

2.  My first memories of reading an ‘older kid’ book come from The Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder.  I think my favorite one is On The Banks of Plum Creek…or maybe it’s These Happy Golden Years…or…oh who am I kidding, I love them all.  I even re-read them from time to time.

3.  The Chronicles of Narnia.  I lost myself in these stories.

4.  Pretty much any Judy Blume book.  Are you there, God? It’s me, Margaret. helped me with a LOT of stuff.

5.  Nancy Drew!

6.  The Babysitter’s Club series.  Or was it…ohcrap I don’t remember.  It was about two teen twins, one was I think named Jessica so of course I was hooked. I have been reminded in the comments – it was the Sweet Valley High series.  Thanks, guys!

7.  When I was in High School, one of the more geekier kids in my class (there were a few that were geekier than I, which trust me, at that time was pretty hard to accomplish.  Once you’ve admitted openly in History class to reading Mein Kampf in three days it’s hard to do ‘cool’) told me about Myth Conceptions by Robert Aspirin.  Three pages in and I was hooked.  How can you not love a series that has a Pervect? ;o)

8.  The Happy Hollisters. These were books that (I think?) were my Dad’s.  All of them had the red cover, no color printing, but I read and re-read them over and over again.

9. The Hobbit.  I read and re-read that book so many times.  It transported me.  That of course led to the LoTR books and a lifelong love of Tolkien and Middle Earth.

10.  The Harry Potter books!  Of course!  ;o)

There’s my list!  How about  you?  Do you have any favorite childrens’ books?

22 Responses to Ten on Tuesday…

• Stephanie says:

I love YA lit in general, but some of my favorites are Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card and The Thirteen Clocks by James Thurber. Ender’s Game is my favorite book hands down, and the language in The Thirteen Clocks is just enchanting. I never read it as a kid, but have read it to my kids several times.

Oh, and the books you’re looking for in #6 are the Sweet Valley (Junior) High books, with Jessica and Elizabeth. (It’s like I said. I love YA lit.)

• Jaya says:

For #6, I think you might be thinking of the Sweet Valley High books. Just a guess.

And I loved the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary, as well as Nancy Drew & the Babysitters Club books!
    Jaya’s last post …time to end the contest prematurely

• Stephen Chast says:

The Time Quartet by Madeleine L’Engle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Quartet
    The Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Is_Rising_Sequence

And if you have read Lord of the Rings, then you must have read The Silmarillion which is my favorite of all of them. If you haven’t read it, then I’m lending you the book. No arguements! ;)

I love that your list is for older kids while my list is almost all picture books!
    Carole’s last post …Graduation Quickie

I loved the Little House books, too and reread them all last year … and still love them. The Myth books are great fun, too … well, until they drag down towards the end, but, well…
    –Deb’s last post …That Was Handy!

• Melanie says:

Sweet Valley High was the twins. Apparently they have re-released them and “updated” them. Which is kind of frightening. It was one of my favorite series and I could read one in an evening – under the covers with a flashlight because “those sort” of books were not allowed in our house. I got away with CS Lewis because he was a “Christian” author :P

• Christina says:

I liked Where the Sidewalk Ends (when I was really young). I also loved Beverly Cleary. I met her as a kid and she made me want to be a writer! Lovely post.

You’ve got some good titles in there, and some stuff I’ve never heard of. Win!
    Tina M.’s last post …Reminder: 3rd Annual Hudson River Stitch & Spin

• Chris says:

We actually stopped at Walnut Grove once and walked around the banks of Plum Creek! Alas, the dugout has collapsed and is just a grassy hole in the ground.
    Chris’s last post …Book Giveaway: Signed special edition of The Onion Girl by Charles de Lint

• Jenn says:

I still re-read the Little House books, they’re all tattered and sad looking.
    Jenn’s last post …Finished Stuff Friday: "A Sweater for Hamwich" Travel Bug

• CatieP says:

Anne of Green Gables – still my favorite, hands down.
    CatieP’s last post …Pretty Please Socks

• Barb says:

Wow, many books I never read! I loved science fiction… The Mushroom Plane, Red Planet Then there was a horse phase…Black Stallion, and dog phase…Lad a Dog.

• Amy Darsie says:

The Babysitters’ Club was one of my favorites! I think I read them all when I was in junior high (middle school.)

But I think my all time favorite childrens books were The Velveteen Rabbit by Margaret Williams and The Snow Man by Raymond Briggs.

I received a copy of The Velveteen Rabbit for my first Easter, along with a brown plush toy rabbit, from my Uncle Roger. I used to cry to that book, never understanding until I was older why they had to get rid of the Rabbit. And as for my plush . . . I named him Bunny and I stilll sleep with him today when I’m sick or upset. My Mom repaired his ears and arms so many times when I was a kid.

The Snowman is such a beautiful story. I saw it on a PBS childrens show one morning years ago and went out to buy the book that same day. It is a very touching story.
    Amy Darsie’s last post …Eye Candy Friday : In Bloom

• Kym says:

Your list looks a lot like mine. . . except I’m too old for the Babysitter’s Club series! My favorite book as a kid, though, was Misty of Chincoteague. Loved that one! (And my favorite Little House book was “On the Banks of Plum Creek”. . .)
    Kym’s last post …Spread Your Wings

• Jen says:

When I was little, I loved Richard Scarry’s books. I loved looking at all of the little pictures. It was a sign of my escape mindedness.

I loved Sweet Valley High books but my favorite book was A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I still love it.

Currently, I am addicted to the Outlander series. I am only on the second book, Dragonfly in Amber.
    Jen’s last post …Yes, I have a problem.

• Hillary says:

I cannot believe I forgot to put Judy Blume on my list. Wow. As for the Sweet Valley High books, I read them with my sister Jessica when we were younger. Talk about guilty pleasures! Recently I heard that they’re making a SVH movie. Can you imagine?
    Hillary’s last post …Ten On Tuesday – 10 Favorite Children’s Books

• Jenn C. says:

Your list and mine are surprisingly un-similar

def. ditto on the Little House, the Sweet Valley High and Nancy Drew and Judy Blume.

I didn’t get at all into Science fiction until I was older, though, so the rest of my list would include the Anne of Green Gables series, the Trixie Belden series, The Dark is Rising books.

Now that I’m a grown-up (hah!) and raising a crazy reader of a daughter, I’d include all the Kate DiCamillo books, the Gail Carson Levine books, the Percy Jackson Series, of course Harry Potter. There’s SO much good stuff out there these days.

We’re making a big road trip this summer, and will be visiting the Two Ingalls ‘s sites in Walnut Grove and DeSmet. We’re all wicked excited, even my husband!

Fabulous list!

xo
    Cookie’s last post …They say complaining is bad for you…

• Deb in PA says:

Oh, there are so many!

Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Bobbsey Twins, Trixie Belden series, Little House, Wrinkle in Time, Wind in the Door. There are probably others, but I still have all of these (and I’m a little old). Some books never go out of style.

• Nicole says:

I’ll second the Little House books, Nancy Drew, and the Hobbit, plus the Dark is Rising and Wrinkle in Time series from the comments.

However, one of the “children’s” books that is STILL one of my favorites is The Phantom Tollbooth. Love that story.
    Nicole’s last post …Week 23: Princess of Glass

What did you do, reach inside my head and pull out all the books I loved but didn’t think of when I was writing my list? Yea, even SVH and BSC, although they were after my time, so I read them while hanging around waiting rooms and playrooms. Didn’t read Narnia until I was grown up, but loved them when I did. (EVERYONE was reading them when I was in fifth grade, which of course meant that I wasn’t going anywhere near them. Even in fifth grade I was like that.)
    Lucia’s last post …Ten on Tuesday

• beth says:

Alice in Wonderland, Charlotte’s Web, A Wrinkle in Time, Little House Books, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Nancy Drew.
    beth’s last post …One down and one to go