…the one with all the reading.  ;o)

CameraBag Photo

(Did you know?  I posted winners to the contest yesterday and so far have only heard from ONE of them?  Is your name up there?)

This week, our directive is 10 Books You Would Recommend to a Friend.  Most of my answers are going to be Book Series and not just one book – bucking the system, that’s me!  Shocking, I know.  ;o)

Ready?

1.  The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher – Harry Potter meets Dirty Harry.  I’ve read this series through about…I think I’m on the fourth time.  This is the first time I’ve been able to listen to them and I’ve gotta say, it’s made the books that much better.  James Marsters does an AMAZING job narrating – his inflections breathe new life into Harry and his smartass comments.  ;o)

2.  Mercy Thompson – I recently found this series and seriously love it.  The next book doesn’t come out until 2013 which is just criminal!

3. The Hollows/Rachel Morgan Series by Kim Harrison -another ass-kicking magical heroine.

4.   The Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning – omg loved these books, listened to them all in less than a week!

5.  The Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly – procedural mysteries, you learn to love Hieronymus Bosch throughout the books. He has many layers…like an onion.  hehe

6.  The Mickey Haller Series by Michael Connelly – procedural mysteries from the lawyer’s point of view.  There’s a twist that connects these books to the Harry Bosch books but I’m not going to tell you what it is, you have to read them to find out for yourself!  (and yes, I *loved* the movie!)

7.  The Amelia Peabody Series by Elizabeth Peters – I love Egyptology (it was one of the things I wanted to study once upon a time) and I love the Victorian/Edwardian era – this mixes up the two.

8.  The Stephanie Plum Series – R isn’t a big reader of books but when we go on a road trip (we try to every summer), we listen to the newest Plum book.

9.  Magic Kingdom for Sale – SOLD! has been a favorite book of mine since I was a teen, it was one of the first ‘fantasy’ books I ever read.  I re-read it almost once a year!

10.  Jane Austen Mysteries by Stephanie Barron – I stumbled upon these a couple of years ago, they’re very entertaining if you are an Austen fan!

There are my 10!  I wish I could list more – I listen to books quite a bit while I sew bags so I have read a LOT of books in the past few years.  These 10 barely scratch the surface!

Now that you have an idea of what kind of books I like, do you have any suggestions for me?

17 Responses to Ten on Tuesday…

• Anne says:

I love the Stephanie Plum books! Unfortunately, I’ve found the last few to be, well, “meh”. Up until about #13 or 14 I would always find times when I could not help but laugh out loud. Not so much the last few. I have an early hold on the new one when it comes in to the library. I really hope she kicks it back up a notch.

Where do you get/download audio books? I would love to listen to more books, but don’t want to go broke doing it.

I don’t read a lot of series but I do enjoy Stephanie Plum. Also, if you like cooking and mysteries the Faith Fford ones are good, and the Hannah Swenson cookie jar ones are fun.

• KenziKat says:

My son loves the Dresden Files, might have to grab one of those and give it a whirl. I *love* Harry Bosch – he’s awesome :) Great list!

• JessaLu says:

I get 90% of my audio books from the library! If your local library doesn’t have a good selection, you can see if you can get a membership to a larger library system (Boston, NYC, etc.) You can also get a card for the Philadelphia Library (freelibrary.org) for $15/year. The other 10% I get from Audible. I’ve had a subscription to them since…1999! (wow, I’m old! lol)

I am going to add Jacqueline Carey’s Kushiel Series (3 trilogies), Karen Chance’s Cassie Palmer series, Michelle Sagara’s Chronicles of Elantra, and Kelley Armstrong’s Otherworld Series. In no particular order. :)

• Amy Darsie says:

Oh, how I love the Dresden Files series. I think I’m going to have to do this Ten for the week. What a great topic!

I also happened to read one of the Jane Austin mysteries at work. It was on the ‘Free Books’ table and I snatched it up quickly!

• Yarndude says:

Did you know The Dresden Files was made into a TV show? I watched the first half of the first episode on Netflix. Soooo not worth your time. Just thought I’d let you know. :)

• kathy says:

I am going to check out #1 and 4. What a nice list!

• Carrie#K says:

Harry Dresden is one of my faves. Don’t read the last one until the next one comes out. I liked the series! It messed with the book – they usually do, but not half bad. Have you read …..argh. I went to double check her name but clearly it’s wrong because nothing pops up. She wrote the Joanna Windwalker or something like that….oh pfft. Wait until I get home and at my books.

Amelia Peabody is one of my faves too. Never did get into Stephanie Plum.

• Deb in PA says:

We read a lot of the same thing.

I love the J D Robb – In Death series. It’s about a New York Detective and her husband set 40 years in the future.

I like Jayne Ann Krentz – She has a series about the Arcane Society. It crosses Victorian, Modern and another world.

I like Catherine Coulter. She has an FBI series.

I like Eileen Wilkes. She has a Lupi series that’s really cool.

There are probably more. I’m like you. I love to read!

• RebeccaL says:

I like many of those series and will be checking out the rest. I would highly recommend the Mary Russell mystery series by Laurie R King. Very good!

• Manda says:

I LOVE! Stephanie Plum! The last few books have been kinda… eh. But I just finished reading 17, and it had lots of LOL moments. Love it!

I also agree with the Fever series. I read the first 4 books in about a week, and then had to wait at least 6 months for the 5th one, only to finish it in a day or so. haha :)

• Hillary says:

I love Michael Connelly and Janet Evanovich. Those are some of my go to reading when i really need something I “know” will be fun. I’ll have to check out some of the others. Great list!

• Chris says:

You’re going to think I’m a really crabby reader after my comment… Maybe I am! :)

Love the Dresden Files, but haven’t read the last several because I heard one ended on a cliffhanger, which upsets me. Stopped reading the -fever books after hitting a cliffhanger, actually. Stopped reading the Rachel Morgan books after my favorite character was killed off. Think the Stephanie Plum series should’ve ended about 6-7 books ago. I’ve run out of steam on the Amelia Peabody books, too. *sigh*

• Heide says:

Hooray for your booklist! Some of them I am intimately familiar with, others sound like promising summer reads. Speaking of books, thank you very much for the Circular Knitting book, I LOVE it!

• Sue says:

If you like fantasy and mythology you have to read the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series written by Irish author Michael Scott. They are geared mostly towards teens but they are so good that I just can’t get enough. The series starts out with The Alchemyst and book number 5, The Warlock just came out in June. In all there will be 6 books. The last one will be published next summer.

• Natalie says:

I am a HUGE mercy thompson fan!! LOVE HER! Have you read the spinoff series Alpha and Omega series by patricia briggs? CHECK IT OUT!! ;)
    Natalie’s last post …This moment – enjoying time in the grass.