Finished about two minutes ago.
So where do I get the button that says “I tried my best but fell short by two hours and forty-eight minutes”? Maybe I should have chosen something with bigger gauge. Or, maybe I should have stayed up until 5am last night instead of 3am.
It was the hood that done me in – damned thing is about as big as knitting half the body. I also had never done set-in sleeves before or sewn a seam. All the sweaters I’ve done so far were knit in the round. So, this was very much a challenge for me on many levels – nevermind that the gauge was 4.5 stitches to the inch on size 7’s.
Oh well. At least I have a sweater out of the whole thing. I’ll post more details later – I need a nap. See below & extended entry for details & more photos.
But first…there’s one more thing I must do… *goes over to sidebar, rips down timer, throws it on the ground and jumps up and down on it a few times*. There. I feel much better now.
As a public service, I thought I would share with all KO parents of teens the lines I have used to keep the child (aka Dobby) at bay while trying to
complete the project from hell my KO project in case you are having trouble coming up with snappy brush offs:
- I’m not really here, you are imagining me.
- helloooo figments of your imagination cannot actually speak so move on.
- um ripping here! No I do not care that your friend’s eleventeen year old third cousin fourteen times removed is marrying a 65 year old millionaire who owns a…waitaminute he owns a sheep farm in upstate NY? Which friend, again?
- Mommy can’t talk until Monday.
- I said, don’t talk to me until Monday!
- I’m sorry, do you think I joke when I say “don’t talk to me until MONDAY“?
- YES THIS COMING MONDAY.
- Listen, if you talk to me again I’ll lock you in your…ohwait I can’t, you don’t have a DOOR!! muahahaha!*
- There’s no talking in the Olympics!
- What do I look like? Your caregiver? Go buy your own milk!
- NO you cannot watch ‘Fresh Prince of Bel Air’ (ugh. gagme.) Mommy is watching Pride & Prejudice and Darcy is on camera right now so BACK. THE HELL. OFF.
- Two words: Frozen. Pizza.
- You want to sleep over at your friend Erin’s? SUUURE!!! (the problem now is…I’m not sure if she meant the boy Aaron or the girl Erin…oopsies) (KIDDING, PEOPLE! …mostly)
Thank you all for your words of encouragement – they are much appreciated! I’m sure you all can understand that I haven’t been answering you all individually because my hands are permanently attached to my Addi’s ;o)
The mistake, for those who couldn’t see it, was that I skipped an ENTIRE row of the chart so I had wonky diamonds. It shall all become clear when I post photos of the completed sweater…sometime next freaking month.
*We live in an old house and don’t have a door that will fit her room so she gets a curtain. We could probably get her a new door however, she’d freeze to death in the winter and it’s a lot more fun to say “Privacy is a privilege!” than to try to install a door ;o)
You know what? THIS is not something you want to wake up to find when you have a little over two days to knit a freaking sweater:
Yep, it’s a glaring mistake.
Guess what I got to do while drinking my coffee this morning?
On a positive note, the body of the sweater is done:
and BLOCKED thankyouverymuch.
And, even though I had a setback, here is what I had to show for my day’s efforts:
I finally got my copy of The Opinionated Knitter and let me tell you it is freaking hard not to drop everything to read it. FREAKING. HARD. It took no less than two weeks from ordering it on Amazon to get it so this is a Herculean effort, people. Maybe I’ll read it in bed while I let these puppies do their work:
I love these things – I bought them from the Knitting Fairy last year when my wrists first started hurting and ohmyGod I love them. Wait. I already said that. Ohwell ;o)
I’m hoping after Sunday I’ll have lost the manic look I’ve been sporting since about 9:30 this morning (see above) and RR will sit next to me on the couch again. He moved on me tonight – something about being afraid for his personal safety or some such crap. Pansy.
I seem to be gliding along and doing well through the ‘long program’ portion – it now measures 12″ which means I have 2 more inches to go and then it’s time to start making arm holes ;o) Yay!!
There really isn’t much else going on in my life right now. Other than my car being broken again – AGAIN! I go to pick it up from the dealership (where it was getting the power steering fixed) and IT. WON’T. START. At this point Roger’s pissed and dealing with it. They don’t know what they’ve gone and done…it’s like waking a sleeping giant. He doesn’t get mad often but when he does…look out!
Oh yes and today is the anniversary of my knitting group having more than one member ;o) Happy Anniversary, Abi! I’m so glad that I worked up the nerve to start going to the meetings last year, helping you organize this group is one of the best things that I’ve ever been involved in and has helped me grow as a person. Thank you :o)